A new Question and Answer site for Physics at a graduate-level and above has started last week on Friday (not yesterday, the week before). The site is called PhysicsOverflow and can be found at http://physicsoverflow.org. The name is in analogy to MathOverflow, or MathsOverflow, a “research-level” (relating to cutting-edge research) Mathematics Q&A site found at http://mathoverflow.net.
The new site seeks to be a high-level Q&A site combined with a “Reviews” section for refreeing research papers, etc.
A wide variety of subfields, including Theoretical Physics, Experimental Physics, Phenomenology, Astronomy, Computational Physics, Applied Physics, Mathematics which need a physicist’s point of view, and generally Physics, are on-topic on PhysicsOverflow (PO/PhO).
Wait, public beta? Does this mean that the site will go down if it doesn’t receive enough activity?
No. The term “public beta” is used because there are a few important things remaining to be done during this phase:
- Install any needed plugins, etc. and focus on site design and a physics-ish look to the site.
- To watch how fast users gain reputation, and set reputation-based permissions based on this.
- Import the graduate-level questions remaining to be imported from Physics Stack Exchange.
- Write a lot of tag wikis.
- Work on creating a “Reviews” section for reviewing research papers etc.
What is the “Reviews” section about? See my post here.
Regarding the software, the following is copied from my post here:
- Basic AdSense (not enabled yet)
- FaceBook Login (will never be enabled)
- Event Logger
- Tag Cloud Widget
- XML Sitemap
The following external plug-ins:
- Comment Voting by Noah Y
- Edit History by Scott Vivian
- History by Noah Y
- Post Merge by Noah Y
- Advanced Tag Descriptions by TowHidN, QA-Themes.com
- Tagging Tools by Scott VIvian
- Q2A Webmasters by TowHidN, QA-Themes.com
- Warn On Leave by q2apro.com
- Comment2Answer by q2apro.com
- Q2A Embed Media by NoahY
- Q2A Featured Questions by NoahY
- Image Manager
- Permission2Categories by Kirill Fuchs adapted by polarkernel
And the following plug-ins by polarkernel:
- Physics Overflow Attributions
- Physics Overflow MaThJaX
- Merge User Accounts
- Regain TP account page (disabled)
- Reset account
- Search for User
- Import SE thread
- Physics Overflow Buttons Plugin
- Correct User
- Rename User
- Adjust Imported Votes
- Reverse Serial Voting
The theme that we use the PhysicsOversnow (officially PO-theme) by polarkernel which is based on the Snow theme by Q2A market.
Below are some differences from the SE software:
|Stack Exchange||Physics Overflow (Q2A)|
|Comment Voting||Only positive||Positive and Negative|
|Vote Counts||Net score displayed||Vote counts displayed|
|Downvote rep change||A fifth or two of upvotes||Same as upvotes|
|Approve suggested edit||2 users needed||1 user enough|
|Autodeletion||Inactive questions auto-deleted||Questions never auto-deleted|
|Comment length||$\leq$ 600 characters||Almost unlimited|
: Users with at least 1k rep, or who have installed a userscript, may click on net score to see vote counts
: And prominently displayed near the “upvote”/”downvote” buttons, making it a misleading cue for question rating.
: Can be used for any purpose wanted, but should not be mixed up and made a cue for question rating